Trials: How shall I respond?
The Bible says over and over that we will face “trials of various kinds,” and so indeed we are burdened and suffer. Many books have been written and many sermons spoken that gears towards the effects of our fallen state, the evils set against us and horrible atrocities that we have and will face. And in light of these trials, no matter what they be, we are left to ask ourselves, “How am I to respond to such things biblically, as God would have of me?” On this page, we want grow in our understanding so that we would be conformed to God’s Word and then apply that which we have acquired. I offer no quick fix to your trials, but Scriptural help that I hope will radically help you.
Below you will find a simple layout of Scripture that I use for reminding me and giving me the direction, hope and victory needed to respond to my trials as my Lord Jesus Christ. For “all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16, 17) Not only have I laid out the passages that have come to help me over my Christian pilgrimage, but I have also provided a few links to books and sermons that have helped me to grown in my understanding and response to trials.
“The Lord gets His best soldiers out of the highlands of affliction.” C.H. Spurgeon
Pathway for Responding Biblically
- Introductory Thoughts and Recommendations: The Sovereignty of God *More to be added regarding this. I would highly recommend a study of God’s absolute sovereignty as it is impossible to separate His attributes from our afflictions.
- Looking to Jesus – Hebrews 12:2
- Continued Helps and Reminders
- George Whitefield’s Journals
- Gift of Pain, The Gift Nobody Wants
- The Scars That Have Shaped Me: How God Meets Us in Suffering
- Lessons from a Hospital Bed
- When the Darkness Will Not Lift: Doing What We Can While We Wait for God–and Joy
Preparing to Know Christ Deeply Through Suffering – Download Original
Why We Can Rejoice in Suffering – Download Original